Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy 2009 Kids!

I know it’s been a while since I’ve updated this blog, but then again there isn’t much going on with the Braves. (Besides the fact that Spring Training Tickets go onsale this Saturday! I’m planning on making my first trip this year, so excuse my excitement.)

The lone info I’ve seen is that the Braves have a mild interest in the services of Derek Lowe and Andruw Jones. And they would only go after Jones if the Dodgers were to release him and they could pick him up for veterans minimum. I think that with Lowe, he’s not the type of pitcher the Braves need. He’s considered an ace by some but he’s 36 years old and wants at least a four year contract and let me say this, there is only one Jamie Moyer. Personally I see him as more of a consistent innings eater, and isn’t that why the Braves sent off Tyler Flowers and co to the White Sox, so they could get Javier Vazquez, who does the same thing? Granted Lowe does it better, but still, he’s 36!

With Jones, you’d be getting a veteran outfielder. But he spent a large portion of 2008 on the DL. His offensive outputs are way down and according to reports, he’s not getting any better playing Winter Ball.

As I said before, I would have liked to have seen the Braves pick up Pat Burrell, especially since he signed a two year contract with the Tampa Bay Rays for only $16 million. His average may be low and he is incredibly streaky, but he will still rocket a bunch of balls into the stands and he draws a ton of walks. And the fact that it was a short term deal would have been perfect for the Braves who have a crop of young outfielders in the minors so a long term veteran outfielder could be detrimental to the growth of the team in the future.

I will admit I’m getting a bit nervous. Dominoes are beginning to fall into place and I feel almost like the Braves are going down without a fight. I am not in the boardroom so I cannot tell you what GM Frank Wren is doing, but I think that the Braves better start signing or trading or something. According to this article in the AJC, Wren says he’s talking with agents and other teams about acquiring players to fill their needs like a fifth starter, an outfielder (although if they got a quality second baseman, they could just move Kelly Johnson to left and accomplish the same thing, upgrade the offense) and in my opinion a few more arms in the bullpen. Personally, I don’t want Bobby Abreu. He’s scared of the wall; well really he’s scared of the wall’s shadow. I’m sure you could get him for less than the $16 million he made last season, but after watching him for the past two years from the bleachers at Yankee Stadium, I can honestly say, I’m not really impressed. Adam Dunn could be a good stop gap, I think acquiring a Rick Ankiel, who is younger and cheaper would be a better rout, depending on who the Braves would have to give up. Similarly, if the Yankees are willing to part with Xavier Nady, I think Atlanta would be wise to make a run after him.

In regards to pitchers, I say just sign John Smoltz. Jon Garland, Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte…not one of those names to me is the front line starter the Braves desperately need. Pettitte has seen his best years, and I think Jon Garland could also fall into that category although he is only 29, plus I am almost convinced Perez is bi-polar. You could easily sign Smoltz to a one year deal, await the return of Tim Hudson to fill his spot in 2010 and pray that Tommy Hanson is as good as they say he is. After all the Braves did just get rid of Chuck James kid, so that’s not a threat, but more of the recent “pitching phenoms” of the Braves reality.

I trust that in the next six weeks, the Braves will add more players to the roster, I just hope that they are the right kind of players for the organization. The type of players that will fill the holes without derailing the progress of the team. After all, I am fully aware that the Braves are in a transition, I would just prefer if this transition keeps them safely above the Nats in the standings.

News&Notes: Tom Glavine is throwing without discomfort. Hmm a veteran lefty…Chipper Jones got very chatty with the Sporting News. Click here for his revealing interview. The Peavy stuff is great.
(Lowe/Jones Photos: Getty Images; Nady Photo: Reuters)

No comments: