Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Welcome Sight



John Smoltz pitched three and third innings for Class AA Portland Sea Dogs on Tuesday. Scouts say that Smoltz struggled a bit and that his arm seemed a bit restricted as opposed to the fluid motion we are used to seeing, but I still think it’s a great sign that Smoltz was able to make it through the start.

Smoltz is expected to make three more starts before joining the Red Sox by June 19th.


Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, Tom Glavine had a shaky start for Class AAA Gwinnett on Saturday night. Glavine managed just three innings, allowing three runs and giving up five hits. Even though the results weren’t quite what he or the Braves were hoping, Glavine remains optimistic.

“It was a tale of two games,” Glavine said. “I felt really good. I felt like I had as good stuff velocity-wise on my fastball as I had all spring. The flip side was I couldn’t throw the ball where I wanted to.

“I’d rather feel like my stuff was good. Maybe I was a little too strong and fighting my location. It was good and bad. Right now I’m excited that my arm is getting stronger and my stuff continues to get better. I can work on my location.”


It would be nice to get Glavine back, but with the way the team has been playing over the last month, it's not necessarily a necessity. (Try to say that three times fast)
(Photos: AP)

No comments: