Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Your First Look at Jeff Francoeur as a Met




In his first at bat as a Met, Jeff Francoeur blooped a single which scored two and instantly endeared him into the hearts of Mets fans in attendance, listening to the game on the radio and watching the game on TV or on the internet. By the end of the weekend, Mets fans were cheering for him almost as loudly as they do for David Wright and Francisco Rodriguez thanks in part to three additional hits and one amazing catch.

On Sunday, I witnessed the Frenchy love personally seated in section 103. Francoeur interacted with the fans, tossed a couple of balls into the stands and generally acted like the player all Braves fans have gotten to know over the past few years. I don’t know if Mets fans are used to that kind of vibe and I certainly know they aren’t used to hearing country music when a guy comes up to bat. But I think they could get very used to him. I see Jeff as the Mets’s version of Nick Swisher, which is a very good thing. It will allow him a bigger grace period if he starts to struggle, making his transition a bit easier.

Honestly, I think this trade is a great thing for Francoeur. I can see him really flourishing in the big city. I just hope Ryan Church flourishes in Atlanta as well.
(Photos: PIMC)

No comments: