Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chipper Jones to Retire?

(Like I wrote, yesterday, I have been a bit busy so I am a little behind on this story)

Former MVP Chipper Jones said he may retire after the 2010 season if next year is as frustrating as 2009. Jones is batting a paltry .269 with 16 homers and 64 RBIs this season, but has managed to stay off the DL. He has also accumulated 70 runs and four stolen bases in 126 games for the Braves so far this season.

The Third baseman signed a three year, $42 million extension in March that would take him through the 2012 season if he decides to keep playing.

I can understand Chipper’s feelings, but I think he means more to the Braves than just numbers. As a veteran player who is the last link to the Braves 90s-early 2000s dynasty, Jones has unprecedented influence on the team’s younger core. I also think, crazy as this sounds, he’s hurt his numbers by staying relatively healthy this season. Since 2004, Jones hadn’t played in more than 137 games and his body is not used to the wear and tear of playing this regularly. It almost behooves him to miss 10 – 15 games in a row on the DL so he can recharge and comeback stronger.

I understand a certain point, Jones will retire and a new guy will being playing third for the Braves, but hopefully that won’t be for a couple more years.
(Photo: Reuters; source)

1 comment:

jake heaps said...

I think Chipper Jones is one of the most underrated players in baseball over the past 20 years. He has been very consistent and won MVP's, batting titles, and gold gloves.