Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Braves send Vazquez back to New York

The Braves have traded RHP Javier Vazquez to the Yankees for outfielder Melky Cabrera and reliever Mike Dunn. Atlanta also sent Boone Logan to New York and received right-handed pitching prospect Arodys Vizcaino and $500,000 in the deal.

My initial reaction to the news was shear horror. Mekly is adorable like a teddy bear but I don’t really want something I created at Build-A-Bear workshop to be manning center field for the Bravos. He’s a marginal outfielder at best who amassed only 68 RBIs and 13 HRs in 154 games in 2009. And remember half those games took place in Yankee Stadium, a place where a pop fly to first suddenly becomes a homerun. In fact, in only 125 games Matt Diaz had 13 homeruns and 58 RBI, some pick up Frank!

The only upside in this deal is that it clears salary cap room to help facilitate the acquisition of a power hitter. And I swear if the Braves pick up Johnny Damon with the left over funding I am going down to Atlanta and will stalk Frank Wren like I am Tom Cruise and he is Michael David Sapir! Ok, I won’t wire tap!
(Photo: Getty Images; source)

No comments: