Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Musings from Citizens Bank Park


Braves 4, Phillies 0

It was another cold one on Tuesday as I braved the sub-40 degree weather to watch the Braves blank the Phillies 4-0. I don’t know exactly why I believe that it will be warm by the time April opens up in the northeast, but I do and it leads me to the ballpark early in the season to catch the Braves for my birthday every year.

On Tuesday, Atlanta did not disappoint. Kelly Johnson started the game with a leadoff homerun and the Braves continued from there. Before the night was through, Chipper Jones had added a solo shot and the pitching staff was able to save off any threats from the defending World Champs. So much for a Braves line-up with a lack of thump; in their first two games this season, they’ve already knocked five out of the park.

Citizens Bank Park always impresses me. Between the knowledgeable fans, the excellent food and the intimate ballpark feel, the place is always a welcoming site as I drive down Citizens Bank Park Way until I see the “god-damn stadium.” On this night, I was able to get in very early, (the team had emailed that the Flyers, who play in the same complex, would be having a game at 7 PM and that the parking lot would be a disaster) and explore the place a little with my brand new t-shirt in hand (it was free t-shirt night). I stopped off at the Ashburn Alley store before enjoying a burger at Harry the Ks. I then meander over to the bigger Phillies store before heading to my seats in the upper deck (one row from the top). My seats happened to be great, right in line with home plate with a view of the entire field. That’s part of what is so nice about the place, every seat is a great seat unlike the New Yankee Stadium which has two sections in the bleachers that do not have a view or a very limited view of the field. (But I’ll get into that at another time) Later in the game I walked down to the lower level to get some crab fries, which were totally worth the wait. I figured that during a cold night like this one, the two best jobs to have were making crab fries and being the Philly Phanatic, because both kept you very warm.

As Mike Gonzalez recorded the final out and the Braves celebrated another win, I was a little sad to see the game end, but then again very relieved to be headed to the car where my hands could finally defrost. Another game had come to a close, but I am sure before the season is done, I’ll be back at CBP and in the seats to cheer on another Atlanta victory.

No comments: