Thursday, January 8, 2009

And now Glavine?


*Warning: Long rant maybe included in this post*

John Smoltz has reportedly called his teammates to inform them he is headed to Boston. Greg Maddux called the media, his family and his agent to announce he was retiring. So now who will the final member of the big three Tom Glavine be calling? And what will he be saying? According to his agent Greg Clinton, Tommy is ahead of schedule and is ready to pitch in 2009. While he would prefer to stay in Atlanta, he is not ruling out joining another team either. So it’s now up to the Braves to either sign him or let him go.

Personally, Glavine would not be my first choice. But since Smoltzie is leaving - and may I say best of luck, because he deserves Braves fans well wishes. He has been a pillar in the Braves organization for 21 years and frankly, the way he was treated by the higher ups is not acceptable - I will have to move onto Glavine. The way I see it, the Braves need a lefty, he’s a lefty, done deal.

Apparently Frank Wren and I do not see eye to eye. He feels that the team’s $25 million windfall should not be spent on aging veterans for one year contracts to act as both a measure of good will to an important part of his organization as well as to the fans who have supported the team for years. In addition to a way to hold the team together for one more year while allowing it the freedom to make whatever moves it sees fit in the next offseason. The team has 25 million freaking dollars and not that they should spend freely like the Yankees adding high priced players to fill positions that are already filled (see: Mark Teixeira) but that they had the freedom to spend upwards of $8 million on a player that has done so much for them while allowing them the ability to bolster their outfield with a well priced veteran. If Pat Burrell only cost the Rays $8 million a season or there abouts, how much could Adam Dunn go for? And if the Braves were smart and traded for Xavier Nady, it would only be a dent of $3.8 million.

But instead they’ll push hard to sign Derek Lowe, a player that has turned his nose up at the Mets 4 year, $36 million contract. Because one Mike Hampton is not enough. Sure Lowe has never been on the disabled list. But neither had Tom Glavine and look what happened last year. Oh and Tim Hudson, how is his health holding up? Out until August you say. Gee, and he’s only 33. To make up for one mistake, they’ll add onto their problems signing an expensive pitcher to a longer term deal than they should to attempt to appease their once loyal fans. Wren have you met the guys who lead the Pirates? Because I’d prefer the Braves not to fall into a category of perpetual losers, if at all possible. (Not that it would make me stray from the Braves. It won’t. I will always support this team; I would just prefer to have a winning season every now and again.)

In 2002 Tom Glavine left. I remember it well. It was right around Christmas. I had broken my foot and had finally stopped wearing the walking boot only to hit a deer coming home from school. (True story, I swear) And then I heard the worst news of all, Tommy had departed to head north to the dreaded New York Mets. He broke my heart that day, but I’ve learned to forgive him. It was a very long process and involved him blowing the Mets chances at the playoffs in 2007 with that one thirds innning performance. But he would never again possess that magical spot as my favorite Brave. That honor fell to John Smoltz. And even with his departure Smoltz will remain my favorite. I am sure I am not alone; John Smoltz will represent something special for millions of Braves fans. After all, he is the only player to be a part of all 14 Division Championship Teams. As sad as it is that he has left, I understand his decision.

And from reading other comments I have noted that most fans have blamed Frank Wren, just like I have for this debacle. And while signing Glavine will not change the fact that Wren allowed Smoltz to leave Atlanta for the greener pastures of Boston where he will most likely retire a Red Sox. But as an act of good will, I would think it is in the Braves best interest to sign Glavine. So what he gets at most $6 or $7 million for one measly little season. Who are they spending that money on? Even if you unwisely signed Lowe, you’d still have the gap to afford both players. And how much could a power left fielder cost you?

I understand your nervousness in signing a player like Glavine who is coming off of two major surgeries. Without Glavine, at this point you have a very young and mostly inexperienced pitching staff. And if Glavine goes down early in the season, you’ve still got the same pitching staff. But at least this way, Glavine can retire the right way, as a Brave. Something John Smoltz will not do. (And no I do not count those sign a player for one day so they can retire as [insert team here] deals.) I know this is all wishful thinking. And there is a reason why I write an obscure blog and not run a baseball team. But there has got to be something said for the perspective of a fan. After all Frank, unlike you, I pay for my own seats, concessions and that nifty Smoltz jersey I recently picked up. You just drain the club of money in apparently more ways than one.

Sorry for the long post, but this has been boiling inside of me since I heard the news about Smoltz around 6:37 this morning. Hopefully my next post will be a bit more cheery.
(Photo: AP; source)

No comments: