Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Braves Release Tom Glavine


In a surprising move, the Braves have released veteran lefty Tom Glavine after he pitched six scoreless innings in what turned out to be his final appearance for the Braves organization. Glavine would have received $1 million if he made the big league roster and could have earned an additional $2.5 million in incentives.

The details are very fuzzy regarding the motives behind the Braves final decision, so it’s hard to know how to react. Glavine was in integral part of the Braves rotation since he was called up in the middle of 1987. His departure after the 2002 season was quite a blow, but it was nice to see him return in 2008.

Glavine has been out since undergoing shoulder surgery last year, but it seemed he was destined to return to the team by the end of the week so it was incredibly shocking to read about his release on the ticker on ESPN while I was at the gym tonight. I’d hate to think that this was just a financial decision, although I can understand that. I just feel that this move along with the decision to not make a serious offer to John Smoltz shows the new regime in the Atlanta front office lacks any type of loyalty, and as a loyal fan it makes me sick.

For Glavine’s part he texted the Atlanta Journal Constitution “I am surprised and disappointed. I’m ready to pitch.” For his sake, I hope someone picks him up and he gets another chance to excel as a pitcher.
(Photo: Ben Gray/AJC; Source)

No comments: